A “person with disability” is a person who has a long-term physical, mental, intellectual, or sensory impairment that, when combined with barriers, prevents him from participating fully and effectively in a community on an equal footing with others.
- Physical Disability
a person’s inability to perform specific activities related to movement of self and objects as a result of musculoskeletal or nervous system disease, or both and it includes cerebral palsy, dwarfism, muscular dystrophy, acid attack victims, leprosy cured person.
- Visual impairment. “Blindness” means a condition where a person has any of the following problems, after correction total absence of sight; or visual acuity less than 3/60 or less than 10/200 (Snellen) in the better eye with best possible correction; or limitation of the field of vision.
- Hearing Impairment — “Deaf” is a persom persons having 70 DB hearing loss in speech frequencies in both the ears
- Intellectual disability — It includes autism spectrum disorder, and specific learning problems
- Mental illness
- Neurological conditions like multiple sclerosis are all part of disability
- Blood disorders like haemophilia, thalassemia
Reduced movement on the other hand means temporary or permanent loss in locomotor abilities that prevents a person from being an equal part in the society. Reduced mobility can be experienced by anybody including senior citizens, pregnant women, children and those who’re differently abled.
Its an inckusive term for all !